Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) – Chapter 32
The Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) is available if you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. The government matches your contributions on a 2-for-1 basis.
You must meet the following requirements to qualify:
- Entered service for the first time between Jan. 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985.
- Opened a contribution account before April 1, 1987.
- Voluntarily contributed from $25 to $2,700.
- Completed your first period of service and were discharged or released from service under conditions other than dishonorable.
- If you are currently on active duty and wish to receive VEAP benefits, you must have at least three months of contributions available.
The Veterans Affairs website lists the types of Training and Assistance approved under VEAP as well as the current payment rates for the program. The VA makes changes to these rate tables annually on October 1. Your payment rates may change if your program overlaps this date.